30 Awesome Life Lessons That Will Last A Lifetime
It’s so true that as you get older, you start to realize that some of those so-called discouraging things your elders said ultimately come to pass. You may not necessarily get wiser, but you will be less of what my husband’s grandmother likes to describe as a “young fool”. God will teach you some things, life will teach you some things, and the mistakes you make will round out the rest. It’s not possible to get to my age, and not have learned something from it all. Especially if you been through some struggles and pain, like I have. It’s seems as if, looking back on it now, that despite how hard it all was for me, I needed it to be the person that I am today.
My birthday recently passed, and I was a little sad. Not about getting older, that’s inevitable. I was sad, because, in spite of working hard to overcome adversity, self-hate, destructive behavior, and accomplish a few goals, I’m still not quite happy with where I am today. I know I can do better. I know I’m capable of more. Regardless of what age I am today, every day isn’t promised to me. If one day, I happen to die, I want my eulogy to state something more than “She was Flawesome and always fabulous, which I’m sure my husband will insert somewhere between my loving children and his own name as my listed accomplishments.
When I was younger, I longed for the type of guidance and mentorship that would aid me in avoiding the challenges that I actually ended up facing growing up. It turns out, now that I’m grown, I’ve become that very person I so desperately needed in my corner. Nevertheless, my longing continued. I looked for that kind of support and management in friends, in my assistant, in relatives, colleagues, in anyone that I could trust, even temporarily. I opened up my heart and even home to people, looking for some type of guardian angel in my ear, which would act as the GPS for my life. I wanted direction. I wanted confirmation. I wanted someone to cheer me on, tell me when I needed to duck, jump, and keep going strong like Rocky did for Apollo Creed’s son. I was afraid of my own decision making, because those same decisions led me to the arms of people who hurt me, led me to hurt myself, and led me to a path of almost killing myself in the past. I failed to trust in my own “dopeness”. I failed to have faith in the concept that I have indeed grown and learned from all of those challenges and obstacles, and the new me was very much capable of living my own life. I learned a lot, but the most dynamic lesson of it all would be the lesson in self-love. I recently learned to love myself enough to not need that guardian angel, that coach, mentor, or GPS but to trust that I’ve gone through my struggles to learn to rely on myself.
I used to ask myself, “What makes you qualified?” a question that professionals and so-called experts don’t admit to asking of themselves. It was my experiences, my challenges, and my ability to overcome that qualifies me. I’m still young, according to some. I mean, thirty isn’t really old in the least bit. But because getting this far in life was something I never imagined, I have to celebrate. I celebrate by sharing some of the simple yet important life lessons that have carried me to this day, and will hopefully carry me beyond for thirty or more years.
Because I don’t want you to struggle like I did when I was growing up, I decided to share these gems that I didn’t’ even realize helped me through until I got here. With these life lessons, if you hold them close and remember to never forget, you’ll hopefully bypass the chaos and reach your purpose a lot quicker than I did. I know this will help you but’s it up to use to utilize them.
30 Awesome Life Lessons That Will Last a Lifetime
- You’re born by yourself and you’ll die by yourself, so take care of yourself Click To Tweet
- You are NOT what happens to you Click To Tweet
- Don’t give up! Click To Tweet
- Compassion doesn’t cost a thing Click To Tweet
- When you get a chance to uplift a young woman, take it. She’ll remember the ones who didn’t Click To Tweet
- Love the skin you’re in Click To Tweet
- Flaws and imperfection are the equivalent to God’s designer labels Click To Tweet
- You are NOT what you eat, you are what you do after you eat Click To Tweet
- Don’t dress for boys/men. Dress so well that you would date yourself Click To Tweet
- Forgiveness is vital. Don’t drink poison expecting someone else to die Click To Tweet
- Strive to be awesome. There is nothing worse than being average Click To Tweet
- If you have a dream, pursue it. The nightmare is the regret you’ll feel if you don’t Click To Tweet
- Love has nothing to do with possession and everything to do with appreciation Click To Tweet
- Because we are all imperfect, perfect the way you love others… flaws and all Click To Tweet
- Action have and will always speak louder than words Click To Tweet
- The people that truly love you will never put you in harm’s way. Be cautious! Click To Tweet
- You only get one set of parents, regardless of your relationship… love the heck out of them Click To Tweet
- Real love shouldn’t ever come with a price tag or resume. Love authentically and hard Click To Tweet
- Always discover your “Why” before you propose your “How”. Your “Why” is everything Click To Tweet
- Every person that smiles in your face isn’t your friend. Gain the spirit of discernment Click To Tweet
- Start where you are, right now. You can perfect your skills as you go, everyone ultimately does Click To Tweet
- You’re beautiful. Who cares who doesn’t agree Click To Tweet
- The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Focus on your own, so you aren’t busy worrying about someone else’s Click To Tweet
- Always keep it 100 (Be Honest)! Even if it makes other people uncomfortable Click To Tweet
- Every day try to impress only yourself. You’re worth the extra effort Click To Tweet
- Spend more time appreciating the blessings you do have now while you wait for more to come Click To Tweet
- Make a large percentage of your life’s purpose about helping others avoid your mistakes Click To Tweet
- Love, support, and defend the same way you want to be loved, supported, and defended Click To Tweet
- Fear nothing but God. But if you must fear, fear the idea of regret and not living the life you so richly desire Click To Tweet
- It’s not over until you’re dead, so dream as if you could live forever and live like those dreams are possible. Click To Tweet
Now I’ve got way more living to do, and I hope you can join me in helping to create thirty more life lessons on the way.
Please share this post with friends and family, tweet each life lesson, and be as imperfectly perfect (Flawesome) as you were destined to be. We’re all amazing! Because God don’t make no junk!!